[vorbis] Total Tracks Tag?

Haxe haxe at pansensack.de
Thu Oct 9 10:50:22 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> It's not enforced; it's _recommended_.  And the "standard" tags are
> only there to help stupid id3-centric players deal with the fact that
> we are not id3.

I understand your point, but I think you should see that from a more pragmatic
perspective. This is not religion, it is a working system that should make
people happy in real life. Let's face some facts:

1.
Most apps use vorbis tags in the form of name=value.

2.
Many apps even agree to use certain tag names, such as ARTIST.

3.
Xiph.ogg encouraged this convergence by providing a list of "standard" tags.

I hope everyone agrees in three further points, so that we can also call them
facts:

4.
If xiph.org hadn't released this list of "standard" tags, apps would agree
less over the tag names than they actually do today.

5.
Having different apps agree over some tag names is useful. (why else should
xiph.org have provided that list of standard tags?).

6.
Having different apps agree over some tag names doesn't harm any other app.

I understand that your database app is superior to vorbis tags in dealing with
metadata. But please do see that there are other people out there. Many
people really like to share files, and thus prefer any file that carries
information about itself in a way that can instantly be displayed and
sorted-by in any existing application.

For that reason, the existence of the xiph.org list of "standard" tags is not
evil. It is a great benefit for vorbis, and I claim that ogg/vorbis as a file
format would be much less successful in real life than it actually is today,
if that list of standard tags didn't exist.

So why not optimize that list? If many people ask for a certain new tag name,
why not add it to the list of "standard" tags? There are indeed tag names on
the list, that almost noone uses. But i can imagine one ore two other tag
names that are still missing on that list, that many other people would
certainly appreciate to have, and that would thus increase the number of
people that use ogg/vorbis.

greetz,
Hauke Hachmann