[vorbis] vorbiscomment and multi line comments

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Thu Oct 2 04:09:17 PDT 2003

I'm writing a couple of reader/writer functions for a music tag class for
python that can read and write 'raw' vorbis comments to text files[1]. I want
these text files to be basically the same as the output/input comments used
by the vorbiscomment program, but while testing out multi line comments I
discovered that while vorbiscomment can set them with a -t "tag=value"
option, and can write them out, it can't subsequently read them again.

Fair enough, as '=' is a valid comment value character; vorbiscomment
couldn't distinguish an overrun line with a '=' in it from a new comment. I
figure I'll solve the problem by indenting multi line comments with a space,
rather like Description blocks in debian control files, but I'm curious to
know whether anyone else has run into this problem (and cares :-), and
whether there is any kind of fix in CVS I ought to know about and conform to.

John