[vorbis] New xmms vorbis plugin

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Sat Nov 29 01:31:13 PST 2003

I've written an updated xmms vorbis plugin, which is currently available from
the vgplay cvs as a file tree and patch:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=vgplay

(Once some file area problems are sorted, I'll put the patch there for easier
access).

It's a patch or Input/vorbis tree for xmms 1.2.8 and includes the following
features:

 - Replaygain is now implemented using vgplay. The main difference is that you
 get 'conditional' hard limiting, a full range preamp, and you can change the
 preamp and gain choices from the config dialog while the songs are playing.

 - It also includes a reimplementation of Stephen Bender's extended titles
 patch. Up top, this includes a subscript notation, like list addressing in
 python, for accessing particular members of a field, when there are multiple
 instances, and printf style precision magic works with everything. Under the
 hood, it's been pushed out into it's own source file with no xmms
 dependencies, and dynamically allocated strings, and functions and stuff. It
 should be easy to transplant it into any other vorbiscomment using plugin.

 - The config interface has been reimplemented as a glade project, which
 should make future modifications much easier. It also includes an apply
 button throughout, and help. Yes, help. You can look up the title string
 documentation while you fill it out. Imagine...

I'm working on a new fileinfo dialog which will be entirely focused on making
vorbis comment editing not suck, but it's taking a while, and I've been busy.
After that, I might add vorbisgain analysis support, if I get around to
turning the vorbisgain analyser into a library. And there are a few things
relating to chained logical streams that I'd like to tinker with.

Ulitmately, though, it would be very cool to turn the plugin into a general
ogg plugin that can handle whatever bitstream a given ogg file contains - I
gather that's what Monty was alluding to in the SCALE talk. In the meantime,
the flac and speex people can feel free to grab the config interface project
and titlestring code to improve their own xmms plugins.

John