[vorbis] [faq?] Portable players supporting ogg vorbis

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Mon Nov 17 15:58:32 PST 2003

Carsten Haese (carsten at uniqsys.com) wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > * It sometimes "chirps" (not enough CPU) when decoding high-bitrate
> > > sections.  This is exceedingly rare at -q 4, but somewhat common
> > > at -q 6.  (I'm using the FM transmitter, which may require additional
> > > CPU; results through headphones may be better.)

> The comment was about an outdated firmware. The newest pre-beta of
> firmware version 1.44 has no problems with a -q 10 I just threw at it
> (average bitrate 422 knps), and I suspect the same would be true for
> 1.40A/1.41, which already contained all of Monty's optimizations.

I am using firmware 1.40A here, and it definitely does the "chirps"
on -q 6 oggs when playing via the radio.  I have not done very much
listening to it with headphones, though.  I'm willing to believe that
it's problem-free with headphones, since other people have reported
similar results.  If you're in an environment where the "chirping"
would be unacceptable, you're almost certainly going to be using the
headphone jack anyway....

When I tried firmware 1.40 (briefly), the playback of -q 6 oggs was quite
bad -- really, unusable.  1.40A (with Monty's final optimizations) is
a dramatic improvement, and I consider it acceptable for my personal use.

> > Going a bit off-topic regarding this mailing list, I'd also like to
> > know if it can play 320kbps MP3s without any problems.
>
> Sorry, I don't know what that MP3 thing is you're talking about ;-P

The vast majority of my MP3 files are 128 and 160 kbps.  I have some
higher bitrate files, but *very* few over 192.  I have never noticed the
"chirping" problem on any MP3 files, but your mileage may vary.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |