[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis v1.1 suggestion

Robert Jessop rj200 at zepler.net
Tue Nov 25 13:37:10 PST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 20:36, Carsten Haese wrote:
> On the few files that I have in .wav here, I get quite respectable
> results with oggenc --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=12
> --resample 32000 -b 40 -M 32. I have no idea how this stacks up against
> Real Audio since I don't have that available. Of course, the CPU hit is
> still there.

ABR mode works by making several versions of each packet and then choosing the
one that gives the best quality/bitrate compromise over a number of packets.
The number is versions of each packet it encodes is defined in
codec_internal.h
#define PACKET_BLOBS 15

If you reduce it and recompile ABR mode should be quicker, though if you go
too low quality will be really bad. (I haven't tested this)

Robert Jessop