[vorbis] KPFA live vorbis stream

David Bachner bachner at ica.net
Fri Nov 7 02:14:09 PST 2003

> Great news!
>
> Is there any chance that KPFA would consider Ogg-only internet
> streaming?  That would do even more for adoption.

At this point, I doubt it. He mentioned that Mac users are having trouble
hearing it, and many KPFA listeners are Macheads. The mp3 streams still
serve them well. Once better player support exists for the Mac, they may
then be convinced to go Ogg-only with their streams. You might want to ask
the KPFA people directly computer at kpfa.org

In my view, this stream is an important first step. KPFA has quite a large
profile, and Pacifica's morning news magazine Democracy Now! with an even
bigger profile is now archiving their show in vorbis. I don't know if this
is directly attributable to KPFA's efforts, but I suspect it might be.
www.democracynow.org

When I read about the founding ideas behind the KPFA and Pacifica and those
of the Ogg Project, I see a lot of simularity and the ingredients of a very
symbiotic relationship in the making. I imagine they would probably welcome
and appreciate any advise and encouragement you could give them that would
help make their Ogg streams and archives work in the most effective way, and
in return might enlist their help with advocacy for the Ogg Project and
other Xiph endevours.

db