[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis and streaming

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Sun May 4 15:23:52 PDT 2003

On dom, 2003-05-04 at 14:44, Henri Jylkka wrote:
> [...] The VBR has been the main argument in the incompatibility for
> streaming but has this changed somehow or will it? Is there something
> else besides quick and large scaled bandwith usage variations and the
> difficulty of buffering, that could cause problems?
>
> CBR could be used but some people say that it reduces the sound
> quality. [...]

Vorbis VBR is very variable. Since you choose and encoding quality, you
can't know the bitrate. The same -q results in very different bitrates
depending on the input sound. If you cannot use VBR, you can use ABR.
Oggenc also has options to set min/max bitrates.

> When doing some test listnening I couldn't tell much
> differences between VBR and CBR but I might as well be half-deaf.. I'd
> like to get the most out of Ogg potential by using VBR but if it means
> problems with streaming or some listeners not being able to listen at
> all, then I will choose CBR.

If required timings are very strict, you may need to set a maximum
bitrate. Constant bitrate makes no sense IMO.

Bye.