[vorbis] Vorbis vs Speex

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 23:29:11 PDT 2003

Windows (and Win programs) tend to be very inconsistant about many things.

Using installed codecs tends to be one of them.  There may be a directshow
codec installed, but many programs still prefer to have their own codec in
their own directory.  I guess that way they can more easily incorporate the
settings dialogs into their own program framekwork and appearance.  (And it
lets them charge you for a codec that you may already have from another
program...)

If you use Nero to burn your cd's you can download a bunch of codecs from:

http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org/

There is a Speex & Ogg codec, but I don't know how well they work.  I don't
use Nero for my audio cd's.

It's amazing how fast they were developed after Ahead finally released a
codec SDK.  (Too bad MusicMatch wont.  I never have been able to get them to
add an Ogg codec.  They most they would say is they'd add it to their list
of suggestions but that it would depend on whether they got enough
requests.)

I don't know if there is a similar collection of codecs for Roxio's EasyCD.

I don't think there is a codec for the free CDex ripper.  You could always
ask them, though.

As for using Windows Media Player to rip the cd... Well, to be honest, I
don't use it, so I wouldn't know.  I doubt it uses DirectShow codecs though.
It too probably uses seperate dll codecs for formats other than its own.
(Otherwise people would be able to use Lame encoder under WMP, rather than
paying for a codec pack.  But, as I said, I don't use it.  And I still use
W98.)