[vorbis] Oggenc problems in apache or cron

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu May 22 01:49:03 PDT 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 17:33, Mr Shanon Loughton wrote:
> I would like to run oggenc on existing wavs through a perl/cgi script in
> apache 2.0 in OS Linux mandrake 9.1.
> I have a problem where the script hangs after about 20sec worth of wav,
> whether it would be 20sec through a 60 sec song or on the second file of a
> 10sec-a-file batch.  The same problem occurs if i run a cron job to encode
> any found wav files on my hdd.  Running the script in shell encodes all
> songs happily to the end.
> the command is
> "oggenc -b 128 *.wav"
> I think it is a buffer problem since both apache and cron limit their mem
> to a couple of KB - however cdparanoia works fine because it writes
> directly to the hdd on the fly.  Does oggenc write to the hdd on the fly or
> only at the end? Is there a way imitate the shell's success in cron or
> apache/perl (like forking or something)? Cheers
> ToWeR

oggenc certainly doesn't buffer the entire file, but the entire oggenc process
may well take up almost 2 meg of ram (or possibly more if you're using
managed modes, though you aren't in this example).

Memory usage will not increase during encoding (beyond the first couple of
seconds, anyway) either. I think your problem is elsewhere.

Mike