[vorbis] New Ogg HW Player?

Jason Cooper jcooper at nevernight.net
Mon May 19 16:32:19 PDT 2003

Tom Felker (tcfelker at mtco.com) wrote:
> > I can't resist pointing out that several Palm OS organizers are capable of
> > Vorbis playback, including the new low-end Zire 71, which also has a built-
> > in digital camera.  We make a free Vorbis player for Palm OS:
> > www.aerodrome.us
> >
> > Disclaimer:  If you use the MP3 plug-in, you'll have to pay for the player,
> > since we have to pay the MP3 patent royalties, but if you just use the
> > Vorbis features, the player is completely free, no nags, etc.
>
> That's interesting.  You may want to add yourself to the Palm entry of
> http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisHardware, the other software doesn't look as
> if it supports as many Palms.

I'm using my Zaurus to play oggs right now... tkcplayer($10, ugghhh)
runs like a charm, and uses next to no battery.  So far, 3 hours
continuous playback off an SD card and the battery meter hasn't moved.
No, it's not plugged in. *8^)

Haven't found random playlist yet.  Got to admit, I haven't had time
to look.  Sad isn't it?

Playing oggs encoded at approx bitrate of 96.  Sounds pretty good.
Definite improvement over the radio in the jeep at 65mph with no top on.

Although, technically, this is not hardware playback...

Cooper.