[vorbis] ogg123/libao needs to factor non support for mono in i810 driver

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Thu May 8 13:52:16 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 12:13, Luke Ross wrote:
> The i810 is curiously broken to say the least.  Ir tends not to work
> properly outside 48kHz 16-bit stereo.  Many configs based on this chipset
> just refuse anything except 48kHz.  You could try playing it through esd
> :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Luke

I just checked, and I have that problem also.  i810 audio driver, 845GE
chipset (which is buggy in other ways also.)  I've had other problems
with Ogle.  I'll describe them; it may shed some light on the driver's
problem.

On DVDs with surround sound, Ogle insisted on writing all four
channels.  This made the audio (and the video) half speed.  Apparently
the driver told Ogle it had 4 channels.  I was able to change Ogle's
config to always output 2 channels, and that worked.

Also, I have chipmunk sound when I play any mono file in XMMS with the
OSS driver, but the Arts driver works.  Perhaps Arts mixes to stereo.  I
have Arts set to always output at 44100hz.

It could be that the driver doesn't do mono, and libao and XMMS don't
pay attention, or it could be the driver's doing something wrong.  Don't
you just hate it when you read the source code, and in the comments, you
read "This driver is cursed. (Ben LaHaise)"?  Someday I'll try to find
some kernel developer who can fix all this.

Also, am I the only one who can hear what the CPU's doing over the
soundcard?  IO, integer math, floating point math, and interrupts from
USB mice each make their own sound.  On the whole, I don't like
integrated sound.

--
Tom Felker

Rather a geek than a sheep.