[vorbis] Some channel coupling questions

stoffke at directbox.com stoffke at directbox.com
Fri Mar 21 07:20:35 PST 2003

Hello,
going through the vorbis stereo specifications, and trying to figure out
how it works, I wonder *where* actually the two types of channel coupling
take place during the encoding process.
As I understood, there are two basic types of channel coupling-
one is the square polar mapping and the other one is channel interleaving.
Square polar mapping is done after computing the floor curve of each channel, right ?
Whereas channel interleaving takes place during vector quantization the residue vectors -
to save space, the left/right residue vectors are merged into one.
Is that correct ?

Maybe you could help me, 'cause right now I'm working on a more gereral,
not that much technically detailed description of the Ogg Vorbis encoder.

Thanks
Stoffke