[vorbis] Time for Vorbis File 1.1? (was Vorbis Comment question)

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Thu Mar 6 10:29:09 PST 2003

Carsten Haese wrote:

> When you're done putting words in my mouth, let's get back to what I
> actually said. Vorbis comments allow the storage of *some* metadata.

Exactly; I wasn't suggesting anything more.  As I've said, I *don't*
want any and all kinds of metadata in Vorbis tags.  I *don't* want a
comment spec that attaches lots of parsing rules.  I only question the
position that "Vorbis comments are not metadata, and should never be
used as such."

If someone can explain to me why they simply can not be used as
metadata, I'll be happy to start the discussion of a new metadata format
right now. :)

> I'm getting the impression that there is this grand vision of a metadata
> format that will magically allow:
> 1) completeness, i.e. everything that is known about the piece of music
> can be expressed in the format
> 2) precision, i.e. two people adding metadata to the same piece of music
> would come up with the exact same sets of metadata

I'd like to hear more of this vision, if I may.  However, I don't
personally seek these goals at this time.  I don't feel they are
absolutely necessary to have useful metadata.  But, I wouldn't mind if
someone convinced me otherwise. :)

> Some information for a piece of music is per track, while
> other information is per album.

You're right, that is a database normalization problem, which would be
settled at the database level.  The more important problem for this
discussion is building the metadata that is the source for the database.

> Vorbis comments don't allow storing a precise database of music
> metadata, but they do serve a practical purpose. I would venture a guess
> that this purpose is enough for most people.

Yeah, it's been enough for me.  It's been enough for others I know, as well.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org