[vorbis] original audio the best audio?

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Mar 4 02:15:28 PST 2003

Corey Miller wrote:
> I was just wondering if the original audio is always the best audio.

That's an esoteric question ... e.g. if you *really* hate techno,
compressing it down to 0 kb/s / deleting it might be "better" for you.
Otherwise I really prefer to get as much of what the artist(s) created
as possible.

> modifying the huffman tables or something in some way to make the
> output sound better than the original?

You mean like, messing up the audio with an automagic multi-band
compressor and equalizer based on psychoacoustics, so it sounds "better"
on (for example) yelling PC desktop loudspeakers? That abuse of music
should be left to player plugins (if necessary, which it never is/should
be).

You're asking for something that should be done properly in the mixing
and mastering stages of a production. This is difficult and nothing that
can be done by a one-size-fits-all program - neither by some player
plugin, nor by a broken audio codec.

How good a song or a whole album sounds depends on the skills of the
producer/audio engineer, who gave it the final touch. If that could be
done by a single program, it would already be done that way. However,
several hardware and software companies still produce expensive things
that require a skilled human to control and set them up ... guess why.
;P