[vorbis] backing up comments

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 02:36:33 PST 2003

> MB> All this talk about vorbis comments has made me think.
> MB> Would it be possible to create backups of the Vorbis comments for my
vorbis collection (currently about 1850 files) ?
> MB> Instead of having to make sure I enter the correct details into CDex
(saving in to cdplayer.ini & backing up that), or if I have comments in the
Vorbis files that aren't stored in cdplayer.ini,
> MB> such as the tags discussed in the current "Vorbis comment question"
thread, I was thinking that it would be usefull to have such a tool that
reads through the collection, backsup the comments, so
> MB> if I lose them through system fkukup (I am using win98 after all :-P),
through viral attack, or because I simply re-encode the collection with a
newer version of the Vorbis codec.
> MB> Any thoughts ?
>
AI> Pretty good idea, I like it. I don´t think any tools for this exist.
AI> Probably one would have to be written for the job. I may be wrong,
AI> though. Does anyone know of any program that does this?

Plus, if the thing stored the CD id (cddb id ??) of the album or single,
then the 'tool' would be usefull in programs such as CDex so I'd have to do
even less when re-encoding, eg I would specify which file is the backup file
for the comments, then CDex would read the comments from the file when
ripping to Vorbis, and write to the file when a new CD is ripped :-)

If such a tool allready exists, I would be very happy :-)