[vorbis] Time for Vorbis File 1.1? (was Vorbis Comment question)

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Wed Mar 5 13:20:51 PST 2003

Carsten Haese wrote:

 > In this sense, tags (or Vorbis comments) already provide a
> _subset_ of metadata. On the other hand, there are kinds of metadata
> that are not vorbis comments

So, you agree that tags are metadata.  I don't argue that tags can or
should store any and all kinds of metadata.  IMO, from experience, they
work well for storing many types of textual metadata.  I haven't felt
the need for more, anyway.

> Well, Vorbis cuts through the ID3 mess neatly by using Vorbis comments
> instead.

There seems to be some sentiment to entirely replacing comments with a
new metadata format.  So, in other words, this does not solve the
potential issue of multiple metadata formats.  Newer encoders only
support the new metadata, older players only support comments.  ID3 all
over again, it seems.

 > I am, however, in favor of
> having one standard format for each different application.

Actually, this is just what I have in mind.  Vorbis comments could hold
standard textual metadata.  Other formats could be added for whatever
else is needed.

 > However, I'm very much against trying
> to cram every conceivable type of metadata into one Uberstandard,
> because such a monster is never going to fly.

Good.  So am I. :)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway