[vorbis] using vcut on split ogg files

Marc Heckmann mh at nadir.org
Thu Jul 31 10:37:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:10:00PM +0300, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> Marc Heckmann wrote on 2003-07-31:
> > the problem is the following, because the oggfiles are split, they lack
> > a proper header and have become unuseable.
> >
> Try instead:
>
>   ecasound | cronolog ==> oggenc
>
> You will need to setup ecasound for raw headerless output and oggenc
> for corresponding raw input.  The connection from cronolog to oggenc
> is more complicated than a pipe - you need to run oggenc repeatedly
> for each file cronolog splits.  Then you can delete the wavs.

hmm, indeed quite a bit more complicated. I think I prefer the approach
of adding a header later on since there already is a CGI user interface
for retrieving/accessing the archive, I could add one at that step on
demand. exactly what information is contained in the header? Is the
track length contained in there? I suppose I could extract the header
from another ogg file using dd? how many bytes?

> tracks will sample-precise but not ideal.  Ideally you'd want a
> cronolog-like tool with vcut powers built in...

-m