[vorbis] AVI stream w/ AC3 5.1ch

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Sat Jul 26 15:55:55 PDT 2003

Christopher Granade wrote:

> Once again, pardon the n00b... what does Quality 0 mean? How do I get
> oggmachine to use it? Thanks for the help, once again.

In Vorbis the recommended way to set the Variable Bit-Rate is via the
quality you want.  Most programs give you Quality 0 - 10 (sometimes
shown as Q0 or Q6).  Others will actually go to Q -1.  Q-1 is a nominal
bitrate (for stereo encodes) of 45kbps, Q0 is 64kbps, Q4 is 128kbps, and
Q10 is 500kbps.  Although any Q10 file I've ever done has never used up
to 500kbps.  If you look on the right side of OggMachine in the Ogg
Vorbis box you'll see that it says quality.  Their scale is different
though for some reason.  It goes from .001 (basically Q0) to 1 (which is
10).  So I just set it to .001.  The quality is fine for movies at that
level.

Paul