AW: AW: AW: [vorbis] Why the commotion about file extensions?

Sergey Meniailenko sergeymk at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 17 11:31:45 PDT 2003

> - Lossy audio: Vorbis, Speex.  But speech is useful to distinguish
>   from music, so making Speex separate is not a bad idea.
> - Lossless audio: FLAC, WAV (not that we can change the later ;).
> - Video: Theora, Tarkin.

I think that all ogg files that contain video should have one extension, such as .ogv or .oggvideo. This is similar to the way .avi files are used now — neither the audio nor video codecs are specified. This seems reasonable to me because comprehending the fact that a video file may have different codecs for audio and video is likely daunting task for the average user. The above-average users can easily determine the codecs themselves.

For audio codecs, the situation is much easier, since there is only one codec used per file. In this situation, we may choose to be consistent and name all audio files with one extension, e.g. .oggaudio, or we may name each one individually, e.g.:

.ogg or .vorbis (I'd prefer .vorbis, but many say it's too late for that)
.speex
and flac is getting complicated. Someone else think of that one.

TO SUMMARIZE:

A single video extension (e.g. .ogv or .oggvideo)
Multiple audio extensions (e.g. .vorbis and .speex)