[vorbis] Bit Rate Peeling Quality

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Fri Jul 11 00:41:09 PDT 2003

On 10-Jul-2003 Colin D Bennett wrote:
> Interesting though, I had always assumed that in peeling the peeled
> (lower bitrate) file would be identical in quality to a file encoded
> directly from the source at that bitrate. (This being the primary reason
> I would be interested in peeling.) Is this technically possible?

The peeler has less information to operate with, so its decisions cannot
be as good as the encoder when it encodes the original file. The actual
quality depends on both the encoder and the peeler. The peeled file could
be higher quality if the source ogg file contains crap and the peeler
removed it :)