[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jul 3 19:19:34 PDT 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 05:16:07PM -0700, Benjamin Weste Pearre wrote:
>Guest performers are performers just like everyone else, aren't they?
>Obviously that comment about "in pop, PERFORMER is usually the same as
>ARTIST" wouldn't apply here (I'm not sure how it ever would apply
>unless the piece is both written and performed by one person).  I'm a
>huge fan of killing the ARTIST field entirely, as _everyone_ who has
>input into the creative process is an artist, including the recording
>engineer, and certainly whoever made the sushi, if it was indeed
>tasty.

I was originally opposed to the ARTIST tag too, but then it was pointed
out that it was useful when considered as a "shorthand" tag for hardware
ogg players, which usually display song information on a tiny, limited
lcd screen.  Like any shorthand, it won't convey full information, but
for 99% of the time it will be "good enough".  People that care about
their Oggs will take the time to fill in the more extensive set of
standard tags too.

Jonathan

--

    It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
             but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2