[vorbis] using vcut on split ogg files

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Thu Jul 31 10:39:24 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 13:10, Tyler Knott wrote:
> Marc Heckmann wrote:
>
> >hi,
> >
> >I am recording a continuous 24/7 broadcast using ecasound, oggenc and
> >cronolog.
> >
> >because the broadcast is continuous and to not lose any data, I split up
> >the recorded stream into a file for every 30 minutes using cronolog
> >(http://www.cronolog.org).
> >
> >so the chain looks like the following:
> >
> >ecasound | oggenc | cronolog
> >
> >the problem is the following, because the oggfiles are split, they lack
> >a proper header and have become unuseable.
> >
> >for example, t1059667200.ogg is an oggfile for one 30 minute segment:
> >
> >[mh at signal tmp]$ oggdec t1059667200.ogg
> >OggDec 1.0
> >ERROR: Failed to open input as vorbis
> >
> >or:
> >
> >[mh at signal tmp]$ vcut t1059667200.ogg 1.ogg 2.ogg 2
> >WARNING: vcut is still experimental code.
> >Check that the output files are correct before deleting sources.
> >
> >Processing: Cutting at 2
> >Input not ogg.
> >Error reading headers
> >Processing failed
> >

> Try using a hex editor to add the headers from another ogg vobis file to
> the corrupt ones?

That's not going to work for various reasons. What Beni suggested has a
much better chance of working, although I'm not sure if you can
guarantee that cronolog is not going to split the raw PCM in the middle
of a 16 bit word or in the middle of a stereo pair (assuming that the
stream is 16-bit stereo). The ideal solution would be to add a feature
to oggenc to split the output into separate, independent physical
streams of a given maximum length.

-Carsten