[vorbis] using vcut on split ogg files

Marc Heckmann mh at nadir.org
Thu Jul 31 09:56:00 PDT 2003

hi,

I am recording a continuous 24/7 broadcast using ecasound, oggenc and
cronolog.

because the broadcast is continuous and to not lose any data, I split up
the recorded stream into a file for every 30 minutes using cronolog
(http://www.cronolog.org).

o the chain looks like the following:

ecasound | oggenc | cronolog

the problem is the following, because the oggfiles are split, they lack
a proper header and have become unuseable.

for example, t1059667200.ogg is an oggfile for one 30 minute segment:

[mh at signal tmp]$ oggdec t1059667200.ogg
OggDec 1.0
ERROR: Failed to open input as vorbis

or:

[mh at signal tmp]$ vcut t1059667200.ogg 1.ogg 2.ogg 2
WARNING: vcut is still experimental code.
Check that the output files are correct before deleting sources.

Processing: Cutting at 2
Input not ogg.
Error reading headers
Processing failed

I can do this using mp3. Does anyone know how I can achieve the same
using Ogg? I would really love to be using it instead of mp3.

Thanks in advance.

-m