[vorbis] Why the commotion about file extensions?

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Jul 16 01:07:20 PDT 2003

Ed Sweetman wrote:
> >>.ogm - Anything with video
>
> .omi  .omc    .omi is nice because you can say "i'm getting an oh-me
> file"  it stands for ogg media interleave. I really like .omi

"Omi" is also cute-talk for 'grandmother' in German. Can we please end
this thread and just use .ogg as it's supposed to be? :(

Even the computer-illiterate people I introduced to Ogg Vorbis could
live with the .ogg extension after I explained shortly, due to lack of
example files, how it works and what the difference between Ogg and
Vorbis is. It wasn't difficult.

I really wonder why everyone's acting as if this was a problem. By
creating myriads of file extension for the same thing you CAUSE problems
instead of solving 'em.