[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jul 14 03:00:55 PDT 2003

steve wrote on 2003-07-14:

> > I really do like the idea of .ogf .ogt etc.  It is somewhat similar to
> > the mpeg style naming such as mp3, mp2, m1v,  mpg.  Is there a reason
> > that Theora couldn't exist in an OGM though?  Or are there technical
> > reasons as to why it is not well suited to .ogm files?  Correct me if
> > I'm wrong (it happens a lot more than I'd like to admit) but isn't
> > Theora just a codec and not a container format?
>
> I thought DivX was not opensource and stuff,
> ... so would It would make sense to keep the
> "Vorbis, Speex, Theora,Flac" to their own ending,
> in order not to dillute the identity of these 4 gems.
> and use .ogm as the container thing.
>
> ...and what about - ".Ogg .Sog" ".Tog" ".Fog"?

These vs. `.ogs`, `.ogt` etc. is purely a matter of tastem not
functionality or coinvenince.  I think `.ogs` is better than `.sog`
because it's closer to the right name which is "Ogg Speex", not "Speex
Ogg"...

If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And if it itches, why not now?  [With apologies to Hilel ;]