[vorbis] Bit Rate Peeling Quality

Colin D Bennett wonderboy at radsoft.com
Thu Jul 10 09:38:51 PDT 2003

Daniel Schregenberger wrote:

>Colin D Bennett wrote:

>>>Assuming the files were encoded with current encoders, c.ogg would probably
>>>

>be
>

>>>noticeably less good than d.ogg, but I think better than if you'd done:
>>>
>>>	a.wav --> b.ogg (at q6) --> b.wav --> c'.ogg (at q2)
>>>

>>Huh? This is the same thing. You must decode b.ogg to encode c.ogg.
>>There is no way, as far as I know, to go from ogg->ogg without
>>converting to uncompressed PCM audio in between.
>>

>There is a way. It's called peeling. The only issue is: there are currently
>only a few "design studies" and no "real" programs to implement this. Just read
>the rest of this thread.
>
>-- Daniel

Oh, sorry! I didn't realize that he meant _peeling_ from b.ogg -> c.ogg.
Jumping back and forth between threads, I forgot where I was. ;-)

Interesting though, I had always assumed that in peeling the peeled
(lower bitrate) file would be identical in quality to a file encoded
directly from the source at that bitrate. (This being the primary reason
I would be interested in peeling.) Is this technically possible?

-cdb