[vorbis] vorbiscomment causes "Illegal UTF-8 sequence in comment"

Anosh Ullenius worm at linux.nu
Sun Jul 6 07:01:14 PDT 2003

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I have some oggs tagged using other applications and ogginfo doesn't give me any warnings when I use UTF-8 in them.

I did the following:

$ vorbiscomment --raw -a test.ogg -t "test=åäö"
$ vorbiscomment --raw -l test.ogg
test=åäö
$ ogginfo -v test.ogg
Processing file "test.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 0e0c0b11): type vorbis
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20020717 (1.0)
Channels: 2
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 64.001000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
Warning: Illegal UTF-8 sequence in comment 0 (stream 1): invalid sequence
Vorbis stream 1:
        Total data length: 926636 bytes
        Playback length: 1m:55s
        Average bitrate: 64.127059 kbps