Parsability requirements of PART tag (Was: Re: [vorbis] Vorbis Comment question)

Benjamin Weste Pearre bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu
Sat Jul 5 00:10:25 PDT 2003

> If the files are numerically ordered the innovation could just be a shell
> script to play the required ordered subset.

Absolutely.  But there are plenty of cases in which I might not want
to rely on having files named a certain way, or want to be able to
regenerate filenames sensibly.

What if I don't like your filenames?  What is Martinu2.ogg supposed to
be, for example?  Hard to tell from just the filename.  It'd be nice
if I could rename them without having to take unusual care that they
came out in the right order.

Is this how you want them to play?

Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (01) Contrapunctus I (Glenn Gould).ogg
Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (01) Contrapunctus I (Juilliard).ogg
Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (02) Contrapunctus 2 (Juilliard).ogg
Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (02) Contrapunctus II (Glenn Gould).ogg
Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (03) Contrapunctus 3 (Juilliard).ogg
Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (03) Contrapunctus III (Glenn Gould).ogg
Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (04) Contrapunctus 4 (Juilliard).ogg
Bach - BWV 1080 Die Kunst der Fuge - (04) Contrapunctus IV (Glenn Gould).ogg

Depends on what you're trying to do, but usually not.  Nice to be able
to rename them if you're so inclined.  And since there are about 20
movements each, as well as those from the Canadian Brass and the Los
Angeles Saxophone Quartet, so it's awfully nice if a simple shell
script can do it for you.

Or, of course, sometimes gnutella will store a file with a random name
taken from its sha1 checksum.

If your hard disk crashes, you may be able to restore a whole file,
but not its name.

If you get a file via various streaming protocols, the stream will not
include the file's name.  And yes, there may be one stream per
movement.

Others...?  Almost certainly.  But that's already enough for me.

--
Ben Pearre         http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben        PGP ID: CFDA6CDA
Stop sending insecure email!                   http://www.gnupg.org