[vorbis] Segher, MusicBrainz, and the Ogg Tag Recommendations

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jul 3 19:42:54 PDT 2003

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 03:53:09PM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>>* When the as yet non-existant metadata stream is finally implemented,
>>   if it will in fact contain "composer", "performer", etc, then any
>>   already-encoded vorbis files will have to be painstakingly
>>   hand-edited, because the information that we need to extract has
>>   been formatted without machine-parseability in mind.
>
>No, you will get it from MusicBrainz (or the like), and in the
>rare case it doesn't have it yet, you can put it in (for the
>benefit of all mankind ;) ).
>
>>Now, the paragraph you quoted justifies all of the points above.  It
>>also basically justifies only one comment field: "COMMENT" - a
>>free-form paragraph listing composers, CD numbers, dates, etc (to a
>>human, "COMPOSER=Bach" is equivalent to "Written by Bach").
>
>I actually think all of this tag business has been a mistake --
>comments should be truly free-form.

Your long standing opposition to the Ogg Tag Recommendations and any
standardization of ogg tag usage at all becomes clear; you feel it may
take some steam away from MusicBrainz.  MusicBrainz is an interesting
project, very comprehensive and technologically elite.  It also isn't
being used by as many people as it should, possibly people aren't
willing to do extra work to set it up.

XML metadata streams don't fit my esthetic or needs at this point in
time,  but I don't oppose MusicBrainz.  I think it is a great project,
and I would like to see better support for it in the standard Ogg/Vorbis
distribution.

I feel that the Ogg Tag Recommendations will coexist with Musicbrainz in
the same way that radio coexists today with the much richer and more
satisfying television.  Both have important roles to play; both are
useful.  Getting rid of one will not help the other.

Jonathan

--

    It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
             but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2