[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 10:07:27 PDT 2003

Microsoft had the same problem with their old ASF extension.

That's why they changed it to wmv and wma.  Same file format, just a
different extension so people & apps can easily tell them apart.  There's no
guarantee of the right extension being used, of course, but most people do.

Even Microsoft isn't completely stupid.