[vorbis] Vorbis on Legacy hardware

Olaf Marzocchi olaf_lists at virgilio.it
Fri Jan 31 10:15:03 PST 2003

At 03.55 21/01/2003, you wrote:

>>ogg123 can prebuffer its output buffer. Set it to a reasonably large size
>>and 95% prebuffer. Even if the machine isn't able to decode in real-time,
>>it should still be able to play a good portion of any song before
>>becoming CPU-bound, at the expense of startup time.
>Has anyone used this technique in the past who can testify for how well
>this works?  How  exactly would I do this?  Seems like it's fairly easy
>and probably in the documentation, but I just am not in the mood to read
>through it right now (serious nicotine withdrawl).

I used it in my 486-dx2/66 to play 128kbps 44.1khz mp3s. Winamp (an old
version, maybe 2.1 or even 1.x?) worked perfectly. I used to prebuffer 45%
of the song. Afeter some time I switched to 22khz output and I never used
prebuffer again. OS: win95, W95 B, W98.
Probably linux could achieve better results, but your system remains a 33
MHz, while mine was a 66 MHz (and pumped t the max in the bios: latency,
WaitStates, ...).

Olaf