[vorbis] HDCD

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Wed Jan 29 11:51:12 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, ndrw mchl grnbrg wrote:
> Andy D. Smith <AndyCool22 at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> : does anyone on this list have any idea of what an HDCD is?  i have a cd and
> : that logo is on the back, and windows media player 7 recognizes it as an
> : hdcd and displays the logo, but i dont know if that means it is supposed to
> : sound better or what.  it sounds fine......feel free to email back to me and
> : not to the list as this is off topic...........uhh..........i am ripping it
> : to ogg vorbis! =P
> HDCD is a basically a 16-bit 44.1kHz CD with extended information that can
> be decoded by HDCD-compatible equipment to produce supposedly superior
> frequency and dynamic range.
> Confusing information here:
> http://www.hdcd.com/partners/proaudio/articles.html

I've read the technical paper and it's filled with logical contradictions.
They claim the human ear is some delicate construction which can detect
the tiniest distortion in audio, and then they go on to say that they
throw away the LSB of the audio signal to store their sideband data
because the human ear can't hear it.

Well, which is it, AES? Either the human ear is delicate and can hear
every tiny distortion, or the human ear isn't that accurate and throwing
away LSB isn't a big deal.

You can't have it both ways, AES. Your HDCD looks bogus to me.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]