[vorbis] just an idea about quality evaluation

Michel Donais ogg at micheldonais.com
Mon Jan 27 09:20:19 PST 2003

> > Uh ... so you're telling that you make your MP3 files bigger by
> > converting them to .ogg @ -q 9 or 10 ??
>
> No. I just chose such high values to make sure everyone gets the
point,
> that I
> can't use my ears to hear a difference. I'd probably do the comparison
for
> big amount of qualities once, to find a setting I like. I'll post the
> result
> here if I ever get the time to actually do it.

Technically, it all depends on the quality of your perception and the
quality of your playback equipment. Since I bought the (previously
OT-discussed) HD 590 headphones, I simply can't listen to most of my
128/160Kbps downloaded MP3s (especially male voices). All my CD
collection I ripped @ MP3 Q=0 VBR=0 min=128Kbps (or OGG similar
quality), I have no problem.

One of my friend all rip its songs in MP3pro @ 64Kbps, and tell he can't
hear the diff with 128Kbps MP3s.

Another friend rip its songs in OGG in VBR, fastest setting... he tells
me he can't hear any diff from the source CD.

... and they're right, perceptually for them, they can't. I am not
blessed with this privilege of being able to hear lo-fi and be happy. On
pictures, I can even see the MP2 compression on DVDs... (One of the
reasons I stopped using digital broadcast-TV sources is the high
compression rate that's horrible, both to my ears and to my eyes)

Mike