[vorbis] OT: good headphones?

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Thu Jan 23 14:15:02 PST 2003

Graham Mitchell <graham at grahammitchell.net> writes:

> I'm sitting here looking at the most recent "Musician's Friend" at
> headphones and thinking about getting a pair.  They've got products
> from AKG, Fostex, Audio Technica, Nady, Sennheiser, and Sony, at
> price points ranging from $16 to $130 (list prices $20 to $200).
> What should I expect to pay for a decent pair of headphones?  Any
> brands to avoid?  I'd be using these for mixing multitrack
> recordings and editing CD audio, not for general music listening.  I
> like to buy quality products, but price is somewhat of a factor.

After hearing a similar discussion on another audio list, I checked
out the comments on www.goodcans.com, a site dedicated to headphones
("cans" is britspeak for "headphones" they say).

Picked up a pair of Grado SR60s for about $60 from my local high-end
audio store; the owner said he liked 'em better than the next model up
at $80 or so.

Very happy with them. I'll never listen to those annoying plastic ones
packaged with various Walk-things, or aftermarket ones from
CircuitShitty or BeastBuy.  Nice, rich bass, but not boomy; clear high
end; seems well balanced. More comfortable too.  They feel well-built.
Seemed a reasonable price for something I'll spend long hours
listening to.