Winamp Wave Out resampler (was- [vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

B.H. Anderson bhafool1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 20 10:30:22 PST 2003

Shawn sent me a copy of the non-Direct Sound version of this output plugin,
and I'm hosting it on my web site's rare software page:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bhafool1/rarities/

I've found it adds far more smoothness and clarity to various low
sample-rate audio files, including an 80-minute speech I mentioned
previously, due to my soundcard's approach to D-to-A conversion which I
presume introduces aliasing when playing back low sample rate audio (see my
rarities page for more).

Previously, I'd struggled to explain why my 11.025 kHz sampled version of
that speech in Vorbis had sounded so rough in the bassy vowel sounds (even
at quality 10) compared to the original 44.1 kHz Windows Media Audio file,
when it preserved the full 5.3 kHz frequency range from the original (source
via tape recording & PA system) and had been carefully downsampled in
CoolEdit. Now the downmixed 11 kHz Vorbis file at -q -0.6 is a fraction of
the size of the "default setting" WMA source and sounds just as good, and
the 8 kHz -q -1.0 is 10 kbps and not far behind.

Regards,

BHA