[vorbis] OT: good headphones?

Michel Donais ogg at micheldonais.com
Sun Jan 19 09:35:59 PST 2003

I'd suggest you actually TRY them out. If you are ready to spend that
much on headphones, usually, the hi-fi shops will be more than glad to
make you listen to all the possibilities they have in their store.

Personally, I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 590 (me too), even if they
got destroyed by all the reviewers, who all said "Buy 580 or 600
instead". My experience with both the 580 and the 600 were
half-disappointing, as the 590 is better cushioned and leaves your head
almost free, as compared to the 600 which annoys a little after a few
minutes (oh so little, though). The sound quality was a few percent
better on the 600s, less (no) noise floor and higher gain, but for me,
it was a plus for a minus, so I ended up buying the 590.

But I tried at least 30 pairs that evening with a friend, we tried them
all from the usd25 to the usd400 range. Most had very big flaws on some
kind of music. There was one at +-usd80 that sounded very very nice
(don't remember the brand though), then it went up to the 590.

So I actually urge you to go to your pro-hi fi shops with 3-4 of your
favorite CDs you know by heart, and try all of the headphones you can.

Have a nice day
Mike