[vorbis] rc3 versus 1.0

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Thu Jan 9 17:30:37 PST 2003

Owen Emry (Owen.Emry at palmsource.com) wrote:

> Just install 1.0 yourself with dpkg.  You can also build it all yourself from
> the source in under a minute, and there's really no reason not to use 1.0.

By the way, the procedure for building 1.0 Ogg/Vorbis debs in woody is:

echo 'deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free' >>/etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
cd /var/tmp      # or elsewhere if you prefer
apt-get -b source libogg0
dpkg -i libogg*.deb
apt-get -b source libvorbis0
dpkg -i libvorbis*.deb
apt-get -b source libao2
dpkg -i libao*.deb
apt-get -b source vorbis-tools
dpkg -i vorbis-tools*.deb

(You can, of course, use a different mirror if you don't like
http.us.  Also, I assume you already have the other build dependencies
such as gcc, libcurl-dev, etc.)

Whether it takes less than a minute will depend on your computer.  For
most of us, it will take quite a lot longer than that. :)

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |