[vorbis] rc3 versus 1.0

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Jan 9 16:53:15 PST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:19, ben-extra at MIT.EDU wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am about to encode a whole bunch of low-quality audio (it sounds like
> poor AM reception).  I plan on asking for some suggestions on that
> shortly.
>
> But first I want to get the tools installed on my Debian system.
> Easiest, by far, would be to use the version that is part of the stable
> distribution, which is marked as 1.0rc3.  I know there is a newer
> version, 1.0.0 available.  (Indeed, it is part of the testing and
> unstable distributions.  However, I would really prefer to not run
> things from testing or unstable.)

Building from the libogg/libvorbis/libao/vorbis-tools source packages would
be the ideal choice - they're certainly stable enough to place on a stable
system without concern - but I seem to recall building them required a latter
version of some of the debian build tools than is found in stable.

I built from orginal source tarballs (very easy; just ./configure && make &&
make install), then created some dummy packages with the equivs package to
replace the 1.0rc3 versions, so as to keep dependencies happy. I'll email you
the control files I used, if you like.

> For the purpose I have in mind, do I want 1.0.0, or is rc3 fine?  I have
> looked around xiph.org, and can't find any list of what bugs were fixed.

I believe rc3 didn't handle input files that wheren't 44.1kHz/16bit/2
channel, and 1.0 has significant tuning for low bitrates, which I'm guessing
are going to be of importance to you, given the source material.

John