[vorbis] Hardware list on vorbis.com

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Wed Jan 29 21:58:10 PST 2003

I like the vorbis.com site, and it was my first contact with Vorbis.
Hardware support has never been hugely important to me, but the
perceived lack of hardware support keeps many people from using Vorbis.
I think there should be a list of Vorbis-supporting hardware right on
vorbis.com.

There are already a few non-PC devices that can play Vorbis (DP-450 DVD
player, Zaurus, Palm), as well as rumors of support to come
(<http://www.pontis.de/site_e/produkte/pl_600_e.htm>), efforts to
support Vorbis on portable MP3 players, (iRiver, Neuros) and random
links like <http://www.phatnoise.com/products/index.php> and
<http://www.kenwoodusa.com/excelon/excelonKeg.jsp> that I just found on
Slashdot in the "FLAC joins Xiph.org" thread (and haven't checked yet).

Since I've been waiting for Vorbis support before buying MP3 players,
car stereos, etc., I've kept an eye out for these things, but I'm sure
the above is nowhere near exhaustive.  I haven't gone out of my way
looking, but I've looked harder than most people would.

Especially for people who will only do three clicks of research when
evaluating a new format, there ought to be a central list of these
devices, probably on vorbis.com, perhaps one of the icons on top, like
Software.

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/hardware.html isn't quite what I'm
thinking of, that seems to be more a list companies that should, or are
working with Xiph to, support Vorbis.  I mean something like the lists
of software that uses Vorbis, with a link and a short description.  It
would also be nice to see news on the front page when new devices
support Vorbis.

It seems some companies are supporting Vorbis but not going out of their
way to tell people; with a list they'd get the credit they deserve, and
we'd increase the perceived level of acceptance.

I'd be happy to help in this.  Although I've never written much HTML, I
can at least collect, research and confirm links.  Is there anything I'm
missing?  If people think this is a good idea, I'll try mailing the
site's feedback address, and start a list on my own.

--
Tom Felker

I have heard speeches of this kind before, but only in the mouths of
emissaries sent from Mordor to deceive the ignorant.
  -- Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien