[vorbis] Vorbis GT3 beta 1 ;)

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Jan 29 18:17:52 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 07:47:28PM -0500, Corey Miller did utter:
> impressive thing about MPC is it's ability to make high quality files
> that are relatively small and nearly (far more than ogg -q10)
> indistinguishable from the original source audio.  Although in most

I must admit I don't have around the HA or similar forums, but I follow
this list and lurk on the #vorbis irc channel... When rc3 came out, let
alone 1.0, the general consensus seemed to be that even with trained
ears and a good setup, you'd have trouble ABX'ing Vorbis at -q8 (or so)
and above.

Now you're saying MPC is "far more" indistinguishable from original
compared to Vorbis, even at -q10. Where are the listening tests? Who are
these people who can so easily ABX Vorbis at -q10?

Also, I read a quote (Garf I think) saying that Vorbis may 'never be as
good' (paraphrasing) as MPC at high bitrates... is this because it's not
expected that anybody will spend the next almost-10-years tuning Vorbis
like they have with mp3 (leading to MPC), or some technical issues that
means Vorbis simply can't compete?

> cases ogg is much better than it, for archival purposes and audiofiles,
> MPC is far better.  I really wish we could get ogg to do that :-(  but

The serious opinions seem to be that flac or other lossless codecs are
the best archival codecs, size notwithstanding ;)

.../Nemo

--
/   "I only know as much about myself    \ /     === DISCLAIMER ===      \
--  as my mind can work out under it's  -- -- Use of advanced messaging --