[vorbis] HDCD

Michel Donais ogg at micheldonais.com
Wed Jan 29 12:22:10 PST 2003

> Would it be possible to extract the information into a 24-bit 96kHz
file
> to retain the same quality from the HDCD format?

Well... Yes. It would be easy to do so, if you happened to know how the
format is made ... but with the DMCA, I wouldn't even try to do so.

The idea behind HDCD is to remove a bit, which is not a big deal
(1/32768th of quality loss... Yeehaa) ... and add a lot of hinting to
gain a few KHz of resolution. It alleviates frequency shifting due to
quantization, and that is the main concern on high-end systems for the
CD format.

I mean, even with 1 bit resolution, you could theoretically have a very
good and recognizable sound track (my portable CD player used to use
such bitstream conversion)... for example, it's how Sony SACD works. But
with "Compatible" in mind, removing 1 bit out of the range isn't such a
big deal for most people. 1 bit for the digitally quantized equivalent
of a 96KHz stream, it's really something good. And the resulting A-to-D
conversion of the HDCD chip is of such high level that even audiophiles
without the HDCD player can benefit from its conversion.

Of course, when you have a Krell HDCD player and can have the luxury of
having the small blue led light up, it's even better, and by a margin
^_^  . Less clanky sounds, especially at higher frequencies (violins are
remarkable with HDCD, as compared to the strident ordinary CDs).

Mike