[vorbis] just an idea about quality evaluation

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Mon Jan 27 14:33:19 PST 2003

> I also don't know of any player
> that supports .ogg but NOT .mp3, so why re-encode?

Umm, ogg123?

I'm actually not kidding; I use a modified "run as a daemon and control with
signals" ogg123 for my jukebox in my classroom at school.  Sometimes I get
some music which is only available as an mp3 (the MiniBosses, for example),
so I uncompress it and then go to ogg at q10.  It's stored on a largish hard
drive, so the occasional huge file isn't an issue, but the format is.

Of course, I won't be handing out the transcoded files to tout the smaller
size/higher quality of ogg. :)  Or actually handing out any oggs at all other
than songs I compose myself.  I don't do "file sharing".

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"Compassion should never determine our beliefs about sin; it should