[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis files can be compressed ?!?

Corey Miller akheron at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 20 18:05:43 PST 2003

Hmmm... would it be all that difficult to implement some sort of system
to find redundancy of blocks.  I know it seems like only 0.001% of all
vorbis files can be compressed due to this.  But that's with lossless
compression methods.  I'm sure many files have blocks that are audibly
similar enough so you could use the same data for all of them.  It
could be improved even further if the threshold of similarity to be
considered redundant could be controlled.  Or if it also checked prior
to compression, because maybe a piece of uncompressed audio is similar
enough to another that when they are compressed to a certain level they
can use the same block of audio.  If anything like this were
implemented, it should obviously be optional.  Of course just another
option in way a vorbis file can be compressed just adds more to the
header.  I don't know how much.  I would probably look through the
source and try to implement this right now if I were sure it was a good
idea, but I have no idea, lol.