[vorbis] Vorbis on Legacy hardware

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Sun Jan 19 18:58:42 PST 2003

Corey Miller (akheron at earthlink.net) wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of making a linux distro made specifically
> to run on legacy hardware.  My test system is a compaq 486/33.

I seriously doubt you'd be able to play Vorbis files on a system
this slow.  All the developers have said that Vorbis takes roughly
the same about of CPU power to play that MP3 plays -- and I couldn't
play stereo 44 kHz MP3 files smoothly on my 486/66.  (I could just
*barely* play mono ones.)

Conventional advice is that you need about a Pentium 75 to play Vorbis
files smoothly.  Take this with a grain of salt.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |