[vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

Derek at CD Baby dereklist at cdbaby.com
Fri Jan 17 15:25:02 PST 2003

Hey guys -

Thanks VERY much for the feedback on this thread.  I think it's going to
work, and I'll be a big ogg evangelist by making it the default format on
cdbaby.com (30k unique visitors a day.)

I've been doing some tests here to find the optimum point.  I'm willing to
go up to 32k mono  (from my original post, requesting 20k stereo) - because
it just sounds SO much better, it'll be worth the occasional stutter for
those on 28.8k connections, I think.

So - before I make some decision and start encoding 200,000 audio files
into this new format:

Can someone test on their own *.wav source material of their choice:

COMPARE:
oggenc -M 32 --downmix --resample 32000 YourSong.wav
oggenc -M 32 -q -1.0 --downmix YourSong.wav

taint your opinion.

--
Derek Sivers, CD Baby, Hostbaby
http://www.cdbaby.com   <-- CD Baby, the store