[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis files can be compressed ?!?

Nescafe nescafe at gwain.fr.st
Fri Jan 17 06:55:22 PST 2003

Hi there.

I have a short .ogg with Vorbis stream @56kbps
from a 44.1 16bits stereo sample, which weights
exactly 135'781 bytes. Packed to ZIP, it goes
down to 109'485 bytes, that's a 80% ratio !
Even worse with latest RAR3 archive, with
which the file size goes to 104'349 (76%).

<sceptical>
I admit this sample is a bit repetitive, but I
guess the probability of having the beats match
exactly the window frame edge is relatively
low, so is the one of having multiple similar
stream frames. Even though, I don't know if
the coding inside Vorbis would let this happen.
This is just non-sense to me. Are OGG packets
padded and too big ? Or is it Vorbis frames ?
</sceptical>

So I did the same test with a Lame encoded
mp3, with average bitrate at 56kbps too,
keeping all frequency range, 44.1 joint-stereo.
The results struck me : the source file is
136'028 bytes, which is quite like the ogg
reference file. But the ZIP file was 128'287
(94% as opposed to 80%), and the RAR3
didn't do really better with 128'048 bytes
(94% too versus 76%).

Why do I get such compression ratio with
OGG Vorbis ? All files are there :
http://gwaingroup.1.free.fr/2003/01/17/

<kidding>
It's not a problem for me since my current
project uses Ogg Vorbis in a RARed
archive, so a better sounding format, which
can be packed even more, that's a "twice"
better format.
</kidding>

This could just be done in a somehow better
way, am I wrong ?

Thanx for any response.