[vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Thu Jan 9 15:28:26 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 17:10, gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:
> Derek at CD Baby wrote:
> > Can someone who really knows the Ogg command-line encoder, help recommend the best setting for 33.6k modem stereo music streaming?
>
> You'll have to resample (--resample 11025) - see if q 0 gives small
> enough filesizes, otherwise try if q -1 sounds good enough for you. I'm
> not familiar on how good RealAudio G2 sounds at those bitrates, but I
> find the following examples "acceptable":
>
> oggenc -q 0 --resample 11025 input.wav
> oggenc -q -1 --resample 11025 input.wav
>
> Alternatively, you could try mono, too:
>
> oggenc -q 0 --resample 22050 --downmix input.wav
> oggenc -q -1 --resample 22050 --downmix input.wav

I did a quick test with my modem and found I could comfortably handle
streaming files encoded this way (20 kbps or so):

oggenc -q -1 --resample 16000 --downmix input.wav

Streaming a file sampled at 22050 was about the limit (25 kbps peaking
at 28 kbps) on my connection.

(Nominally I had a 48000 bps connection, but it's pretty finicky.)

---
Stan Seibert