[vorbis] YA-2496

Michel Donais ogg at micheldonais.com
Mon Jan 6 05:54:12 PST 2003

> The higher sample rate, the higher compression rate you get with a
> lossless compressor. Did you tried ?

[IMHO]Technically, this is true only when the sound quality is not good
enough to allow for minute changes that are possible with the increased
resolution. If you oversample a sound bit, it will only interpolate
between the samples, which is precisely the same thing a lossless
compressor tries to do. You don't get back the original harmonics and
frequency precision.

But in my case, the source will have more informations, and most sources
will be live, thus containing a little bit of garbage. Of course, that
adds to the "uncompressibility" of the sample.[/IMHO]

That said, I haven't tried. The goal by talking to you immediately is to
start seeing if there are any chances to get my favorite compression
system in shape for 24/96 in a timely fashion. I will probably get my
piece of equipment in a few months only so I don't have anything to do
tests right now. With the current state of the technologies, my only
real choice is DVD audio.

Mike