[vorbis] MP3/Vorbis comparision

Frank Grotelueschen fgro at gmx.de
Sun Feb 9 07:48:02 PST 2003

Cameron Patrick wrote:

>| It produces much too high frequencies at normal bitrates. [...]
>| MP3 do not have this problem.
>
>Really?  In my experience, you lose a lot of high frequencies when you
>encode to MP3, and it sounds significantly worse (i.e. less similar to
>the original) than Vorbis's exaggeration of the same.

Really yes! With mp3 (lame) the frequencies response below the the cut-off
frequence is flat. No level boost or lost is audible. The cut-off frequence
depends on the used bitrate, at least 15 KHz up to 22 KHz.
With ogg, below this in the hearable area, at 10 KHz and higher,
the level is increased.
Ogg has less artefacts as mp3, this is correct. But the artefacts from
mp3 are, if the bitrate is high enough (at least 160 KBit), mostly not
audible with normal music.
With cbr higher 192 KBit or vbr 192 KBit average, strange
artefacts are very rare. Normaly the music sounds identical to the
uncompressed original.
Ogg has the power to beat mp3 with lover bitrates. Quality 4 or 5 sounds
very good, but the high frequencies response is too high.
It is very hard to identify a vbr 192 KBit mp3, compared to the uncompressed
original, with normal (not special selected) music.
Because the high fequencies response, it is much easier to identify a quality
4 or 5 ogg, compared to the uncompressed original, with the same normal music!
The result is:
For me, at these bitrates, ogg sounds less similar to the original than mp3.

Frank

--
Frank Grotelueschen   |   fgro at gmx.de   |   2:2426/3260.26