[vorbis] Exact decode positioning

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Feb 5 09:21:37 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:28:53PM -0000, Paul Noffke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm busy working on a method of synchronising playback between two ogg
> decoders.  To do this reliably, I need to create a cross-reference of the
> raw & pcm offsets in the bitstream.

You have complete control over PCM offsets; you don't have complete
conttrol over raw offset because you both need some level of buffering
for Ogg to function, and the raw offset is not directly related to the
PCM offset anyway.  All you know about an Ogg stream is that it comes
in order, and that the granulepos can be used to know needed buffering
depth.  The raw offset changes in large chunks because it has to; you
can't process only a few bytes of an Ogg stream at a time.

So, I'd like to ask, "What are you *really* doing?"  It seems unlikely
that Vorbisfile can't do what you want, but if it can't, I'd like to
know in more detail why such that I can take that into account for
future API design.

Monty